Monday, July 19, 2010

Water & Wine

On Friday, Heather & I headed west to the coast so I could dip my toe in the icy cold Pacific. The 90-mile drive from Portland to Cannon Beach is one of my favorites -- just leaving "Bridgetown" is pretty spectacular, cruising over the Willamette River with the city below and mountains beyond. Then, once you're out, there's virtually no icky suburban sprawl -- just miles and miles of natural beauty. (Thank you, Urban Growth Boundary.)  

First stop: Lunch at Bill's Tavern & Brewhouse in Cannon Beach. Shrimp Sandwich for me, Ahi Tuna Salad for H. (Oh, and my delish sandwich came with cheddar from Tillamook, just down the road.) Bill's was cute, and Cannon Beach is super cute. Reminds me of New England, with all that seaside wood cladding I love:


H & I enjoyed a nice long walk on the beach. The clouds parted, the sun smiled, and the breeze was divine. Kites + sand castles + fond memories of family vacations past = happy, happy.

 
 

After ice cream cones & a stroll through town, we pointed the car towards Willamette Valley wine country. When I was here two years ago with Heather & our wine lover friend Liz, we did a proper tasting tour -- Argyle, The Four Graces, Domaine Serene, Scott Paul & more. This time, we arrived after most tasting rooms had closed, but enjoyed a lovely rose at The Horseradish bar in downtown Carlton, and then a sunset dinner (and more wine, of course) under an umbrella on the veranda of Cana's Feast Winery:


Dinner was superb, the dessert especially divine. But really what I loved most was watching the sun set slowly over the rolling hills of the vineyard estate. 

(Note to self: Own a vineyard someday. Or better yet, persuade a friend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment