Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Movin' On

It was really hard to say goodbye to Portland. Or rather, it was hard to say goodbye to Summer Camp. I had gotten so comfortable there on my sister's front porch, basking in the serenity of solitude, the sounds and smells of summer, the rhythm of life without deadlines (except for one or two I totally missed in my what-day-is-it? mode).

It wasn't like I was totally idle -- like some Victorian lady of leisure napping on the sofa. I was always active, thinking or doing or creating or learning something. In fact, in some ways I was more productive than I am at home. Funny how that works, huh?

By the time Heather arrived for my last few days there, I was ready for companionship and loved our conversations and outings. But after she left, I could have easily returned to my porch perch for another week or two of designing and writing all by my self.

I was actually a little bit relieved to feel this way. Sometimes, in my normal life, I fear I am too dependent on the company of friends. I wonder if I'm capable of happiness completely on my own. So there was a little bit of pride and pleasure in discovering that yes, I am okay all by myself.

That said, my time alone also proved another thing: I love my friends. Adore them, really. I missed all of my Detroit people an awful lot. (Thanks for the nice long-distance phone chats!)

So packing was bittersweet. And if I wasn't rushing (as I always am) to clean up and catch my plane, my departure might have hit me harder.

But now I am onto Summer Camp Part II: The Homeland. Some QT with family before returning to Michigan. (A nice segue back to reality, too.)

As my plane lifted off the runway, I scribbled in my notebook:

Farewell clean, chill air
Green everywhere
"The City That Works"
You worked for me.
You're not my home
(But that was the point)
Camp is a luxury
(Don't think I don't know that).
But everything I learned
Every meal I burned
I will carry it all home...

No comments:

Post a Comment