Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happiness



"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." -Mohandas Gandhi

"No sane man can be happy. For to him life is real, and he sees what a fearful thing it is. Only the mad can be happy, and not many of those." -Mark Twain

I've been thinking a lot about this whole idea of happiness. Mostly how people define and measure it, I guess. And whether it should be a pursuit or, like Eleanor Roosevelt suggested, a by-product. Happiness just sorta happens when you live the right way.

I come from a happy people. My parents and siblings smile big, hug tight and choose not to dwell in darkness for too long. Me, I gravitate towards light, but I also see beauty and utility in the shadows. After all, isn't this where great art and ideas come from? How many poets and painters do you know who are "happy"?*

Two questions for today:

1) What people are most predisposed to true happiness? Himalayan goat herders or retired Silicon Valley execs? Intellectually, I know it can belong to both priests and pole dancers if their hearts are right. But sometimes it seems like a privilege for a fortunate few. Nice work if you can get it, but elusive and unavailable to most. Plus, the modern world and true happiness don't appear to co-exist all that well, as hard as we Westerners work to sell and consume it. How can we seek but not chase or crush?

2) Under what conditions does happiness flourish? Some say pleasure and comfort, others poverty and purity. Since I'm interested in place and design, I'm curious about what kinds of spaces and experiences nurture happiness. Or, if happiness dwells within us, are environmental factors largely irrelevant?

Here's why I think place matters:

1) BEAUTY makes us happy.
2) PEOPLE make us happy.

We're social creatures by nature. We need a connection to other human beings. We also need beauty. Natural or man-made. Cascading waterfalls or art deco skyscrapers. Either/or, but ideally both.

When I think about it, I am happiest in places that value beauty and humanity. I want this for Detroit -- to really, truly value these things. Every time we build another ugly strip mall or demolish a beautiful building or close a park, I wonder if we do. I wonder why we feel like we don't deserve happiness. Is it because we're poor? Is it because when you're just trying to survive, happiness seems a luxury?

We need a mindset reset pronto. We need to value ourselves a little bit more.

I already posted one good video about happiness by Chip Conley. Below is another fascinating one by Nancy Etcof. Two other favorites about the importance of beauty and place are by James Howard Kunstler and Bill Strickland. Enjoy.

"The Surprising Science of Happiness"
by Nancy Etcof at TED (19:43)


*Elizabeth Gilbert has some interesting things to say about how creativity and mental health need not be mutually exclusive. Yet another good TED talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment