Friday, July 9, 2010

Storytelling

"Don't tell people how to live their lives. Just tell them stories. 
They can figure out how to apply the stories to their lives."
-Randy Pausch



I am obsessed with good storytelling lately. Can't get enough of The Moth or This American Life or old Def Poetry Jam videos. Love the StoryCorps project. Love political satire and stand-up comedy, too.

I'm already in awe of people who can write good stories and poems and lyrics. But to also have the gift of speaking these words powerfully is a whole 'nother level of awesome. Sarah Jones and Anna Deveare Smith come to mind. David Sedaris and Dan Savage aren't too shabby either. I've always been ga-ga over the great folk songwriters. Sometimes I listen to Common and Mos Def, but I could use more hip hop in my life.

(Oh my god, Dan Savage's story about his mother had me in tears in a parked car on a beautiful spring day. I just dug it up again, and yup, still good. You can listen here, at the 37:47 mark.)

I think this talk by Carmen Agra Deedy (also, incidentally, about her mother) so beautifully illustrates the importance of good storytelling. Just her voice alone is intoxicating. I could listen to her for hours.

I aspire to be a good storyteller someday. This is a pretty big aspiration. I can't even tell a good joke. But I do so love words and conversation. I'm a Gemini, after all. Maybe if I practice...

No comments:

Post a Comment