Friday, July 9, 2010

Painting


I am painting. Not well. But I promised myself that would be okay.

Tim was kind enough to share his brushes and paints with me, so the other day I got out a canvas and went at it. Didn't think about it too much. Just wanted to see what would come.

When I stood back and looked, I realized I was trying (without really knowing it) to mimic my favorite painters. I had challenged myself to loosen up and not be so exacting, but that didn't happen. 

I studied architecture, after all. My very favorite thing to sketch (usually while watching TV) is floor plans. So I can draw a straight line without a ruler, that's cool. But with painting, I hoped I would be a little freer. Yeah, not so much.

My favorite painters are the American realists. More specifically, urban and architectural landscapes. Edward Hopper is tops in my book, the master of capturing people in their environments. Also adore Charles Sheeler's smokestacks and Georgia O'Keefe's skyscrapers. Hugh Ferriss' sketches and Berenice Abbott's photographs, too. In Detroit, I love Stephen Magsig, Taurus Burns and Darcel Deneau's paintings and Stephen McGee and Dante Stella's snapshots.

Not sure what it says about me, but I really dig a good shadow. Themes of loneliness and resignation, the alienation of modern life. But also the audacity of modernity, the architecture of aspiration. 


When I look at my favorite, the Radiator Building by Georgia O'Keefe, I'm reminded of E.B. White's great quote about New York:
"It is to the nation what the white church spire is to the village—the visible symbol of aspiration and faith, the white plume saying that the way is up."
This, in a nutshell, is why I love cities.

But shit. I might have just psyched myself out of painting today by looking for inspiration from the creme de la creme. Don't measure yourself against masters, silly girl. That's a recipe for disappointment. Process, not product. Try, try again...
________

Paintings, clockwise from upper left: “Radiator Building—Night, New York" by Georgia O’Keefe (1927). “Early Sunday Morning” by Edward Hopper (1930). “Automat” by Edward Hopper (1927). “American Landscape” by Charles Sheeler (1920). “Smokestacks in the Cass Corridor” by Taurus Burns (2009). Center: “Citylights 54” by Stephen Magsig (2010).

3 comments:

  1. Claire, I envy your solitude and time to decompress and focus on painting! I have to point out, in case you're not familiar, a mid-century artist named Mark Coomer, who focused almost exclusively on cityscapes. He did series devoted to NYC, Chicago, and New Orleans, for instance [no Detroit that I know of]. His approach is a bit simpler than your inspiration images, since these are prints, but his grasp of light, shadow, and perspective are equally compelling, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to discover your blog. It reminds me of why I love you so much. You have simply impeccable taste! a bientot, liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, thanks so much for introducing me to Mark Coomer's work, Maya! Totally new to me & LOVE it.

    Liz! You're too sweet & I hope you're well! You always post the most beautiful images. I aspire to be a good photographer like you when I grow up.

    I'm gonna make a point of checking both of your blogs more, ladies! I'm realizing on my lil retreat here that I need more design inspiration in my life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete