Saturday, July 3, 2010

Food, Glorious Food




Rule #1: Prepare Healthy & Delicious Meals. This is something I don't do enough at home. I could make a whole host of excuses, but Detroit's reputation as a "food desert" is not one of them. It's simply a matter of time, money and energy, and usually I lack all three. Lately, this lack of culinary creativity has also been showing up more in my cheeks and hips and ass. (I eat too much carby take-out.) Summer Camp is a chance to do things differently.

So as soon as I got settled in, I culled recipes from Cooking Light and then loaded up on groceries from New Seasons -- which is like Whole Foods, but better. I've never enjoyed grocery-shopping quite as much as I did here -- so many foods I rarely or never buy at home. Artichokes, beets, watercress, fennel, celery, cucumbers, shallots, ginger. Mission figs, pineapple, mango, kiwi, blackberries. Salmon, rainbow trout, crabmeat, shrimp, scallops. Chili sauce, mango chutney, fish sauce. Orzo, pita bread, rice paper, feta, pate, prosciutto.

Um, YUM. Summer Camp is gonna be DELICIOUS.

Oh, but check out the cost of two petite salmon filets. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment